Volunteers are the life blood of Daily Bread. Our mission and ministries are achieved by the generosity of our volunteers. On any given day there are approximately 50 volunteer opportunities available at the Daily Bread. Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age, complete the volunteer application, sign a photo and liability waiver, sign in & out on the volunteer log, and dress appropriately for the area in which they are volunteering.
Volunteer hours & opportunities vary. Follow the below hyperlinks to discover specific tasks, hours of operation and appropriate attire:
Dining Facility / Kitchen
Food Bank / Warehouse
Buescher Outreach Center / Hygiene
NOTE: Community Service Workers (CSW). CSW’s are volunteers who have been court ordered or are accruing service hours for Bright Futures, college, or other agencies. These volunteers must present their paperwork and volunteer logs prior to serving any hours. All court ordered CSW’s must report in with the Kitchen Manager.
DINING FACILITY: Volunteer Application
Hours of Operation: Sunday through Saturday - 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Dress Code: All volunteers must wear long pants, shirts with long/short sleeves, closed toed shoes, and a ball cap or hairnet.
- Cooks (3) Reports @ 7:00 a.m. to prepare the daily meal. At least one needs to stay until 1:45 p.m. in the event we need to prepare additional food.
- Food Preparation (6) Reports @ 7:30 a.m. to assist the cooks with the many functions of preparing the daily meal. (Soup, Salad, Protein, Vegetable, & Starch)
- Dishwashers (4) Reports @ 7:30 a.m. Cleans the pots, pans used in preparing the meal and trays, cups and flatware returned by the clients.
- Serving Team (7) Reports @ 10:30 a.m. to serve the meal and drinks. Local churches and groups have teams that perform this function. See our Partners page to find your church or organization.
- Greeter (1) Reports @ 10:30 a.m. to greet and check clients into the computer database.
- Door Persons (2) Reports @ 10:30 a.m. to assist in the line control and flow of clients to the greeter and serving line, also helps keep food & drinks inside the dining facility.
- Table Team (2) Reports @ 10:30 a.m. to assist in wiping tables throughout the meal time.
FOOD BANK / WAREHOUSE: Volunteer Application
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday - 6:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Dress Code: Comfortable and modest clothing and closed toed shoes. Food prep volunteers must wear long pants, shirts with long/short sleeves, and a ball cap or hairnet.
- Day Manager (1) Reports @ 6:45 a.m. to assist in managing the daily tasks and volunteer assignments.
- Food Rescue Team (#) Reports @ 6:45 a.m. to
- Food Preparation (#) Reports @ 9:30 a.m. to prepare raw foods for future Dining Facility meals.
- Warehouse Associates (Varies) Reports @ 7:00 a.m. to assist in daily warehouse tasks that may include: receiving, sorting, and storing donations; assisting partner food pantry agents; general cleaning; etc…
BUESCHER OUTREACH CENTER: Volunteer Application
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday - 8:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday – 8:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Dress Code: Comfortable and modest clothing and closed toed shoes.
- Hygiene (4) Reports @ 8:00 a.m. to assist manage the client shower list and provide them with hygiene items, clothing, and other available products as well as sort community donations. Local churches and groups have teams that perform this function. See our Partners page to find your church or organization.
- Mail Room (1) Reports @ 8:00 a.m. to assist clients with mail pick-ups and assist managing the clients & visitors desiring to meet with available staff personnel.
- Administrative Assistant Flexible hours available to assist staff with basic administrative tasks such as: Answering the phones, Mailings, Data Entry, etc…
- Maintenance Team Flexible hours available to assist the Operations Director with campus maintenance needs including: monthly preventative maintenance, basic repairs, and capital improvements.
- Fundraising Committee Flexible hours, often event driven opportunities available to assist the Development Director with bulk mailings, planning and executing fundraising and recognition events, marketing, and community education.
THRIFT SHOP: Volunteer Application
Hours of Operation: Monday through Saturday - 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Dress Code: All volunteers must wear modest professional clothing for customer service rolls. Comfortable and modest clothing and closed toed shoes when working receiving and as floor associates.
- Cashier (1) Reports @ 9:45 a.m. to greet customers and execute sales.
- Receiving (4) Reports @ 10:00 a.m. to accept, sort, and prepare incoming community donations for sales floor.
- Floor Associates (2) Reports @ 10:00 a.m. to assist customers with purchases and tidy sales floor displays.